Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Treadmill thoughts

Over the years I've read a lot about treadmill running, but only two things have really stuck with me.
  1. Set the treadmill at a slight incline to make up for the lack of wind resistance.
  2. Don't run at the very front of the treadmill. The "sweet spot" is more toward the middle of the belt.
Do you follow either of these tips? I honestly don't remember the exact reasoning behind #2, so please share if you have more information!

I went to the gym tonight with the intention of running for an hour. I'm trying to get back in the habit of doing one or two midweek runs in addition to my long run on the weekends. I had a very successful run, thanks to a simple helper... a handy dandy post-it note!

I'm sure this isn't a new trick, but I've found that using a post-it note to cover up the time display on the treadmill keeps me from getting bored counting down the minutes. Instead I focus on the distance. I don't find counting the miles as tedious. I think it's because I can control the speed to make the miles pass more quickly if I want, just like when running outside. I still usually try to run for a set amount of time instead of a set distance, but once I'm close to the end of a treadmill run the last few minutes aren't so bad.

The treadmills at the gym are set for a max of an hour. I got through the first 60 minutes and still felt good, so I decided to keep going for another 30.



Total of about 9.6 miles (I always round down) in 90 minutes for an average 9:23 pace.

1 comment:

  1. Nice run. I've never heard about #2, but will consider running more in the middle next week.

    ReplyDelete