Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Thoughts on a sub 1:40 half

This Saturday I'm running in the Nookachamps Winter Runs 1/2 Marathon in Mount Vernon. I'm debating whether to try for another PR, specifically a time of sub 1:40.

If I run exactly 13.1 miles, I'll need a pace of 7:38. But if I factor in some wiggle room for not running the tangents perfectly, I'll need closer to a 7:30 pace. It's crazy to me that I'm even considering the possibility of running at a 7:30 pace for 13.1 miles. My current 10k PR was run at a 7:34 pace and I can still remember how much effort that took. But then again, I didn't expect to run the half last Sunday at a 7:46 pace. And while Sunday was by no means an easy run, I finished feeling like I still had a little something left in the tank.

It's not out of the realm of possibility to get another half PR so soon. Last year I got back-to-back PRs running the National Half Marathon on a Saturday and the Caesar Rodney Half Marathon the very next day... both without intentionally trying. Actually part of me wonders if I'm overthinking this since I seem to have done just fine setting new PRs (at least at the half marathon distance) in the past without any planning.

For now I'll do my best to set myself up for the possibility of a PR. I'll stick to an easy run tomorrow and a light workout on Friday. I'll (try to) cut down on my snacking... that's my weakness. And I need to go to bed early enough to get eight hours of sleep the next few nights. So with that, it's time to say good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment