Saturday, January 21, 2012

I'm going to Disneyland!

This time next week I'll be at Disneyland!

Disneyland 1/2 Marathon expo in 2009

I'm so ready for a vacation (although I'm already dreading how much work I'm going to come back to). And as much as I've enjoyed seeing how pretty everything looks covered in snow, I'm ready to escape to someplace warmer. But there's one thing I didn't realize until this week when I started looking at the weather forecast... it actually gets pretty cold in Anaheim at night.

I'm going to be running two races while I'm down there. The Never Land 5k is on Friday night and starts at 10:30pm. The Tinker Bell Half Marathon is on Sunday morning and starts at 5:45am. At first I had been thinking... running in California? No problem, I'll just pack my usual race tanks and shorts. But now that I know it'll be around 50 degrees during both races, I'm definitely rethinking my clothing options. I'm leaning towards long sleeves and capris, although I'll probably bring a short sleeve tech shirt too, just in case it's warmer than expected.

Aside from thinking about what to pack, I've also been planning my schedule for the trip. I don't get super crazy and try to tour the parks commando-style with everything planned down to the minute. But when I'm at Disney (either coast) I like to at least have a rough plan mapped out. The good thing about Disneyland is that I don't have to figure out which park(s) I'll be at for each day of the trip. And I haven't had to make any dining reservations since right now I'm not planning on any table service dining... Although that might change if I decide I just can't resist a monte cristo. Or this 24-layer chocolate cake from Steakhouse 55... it even has a nutella and cream layer!

Side tangent: do you think Disney actually stocks their kitchen with jars of Nutella or are they just using nutella to refer to a chocolate hazelnut flavor? Whenever I hear the word Nutella, I picture the distinctive plastic jar with the white label that I always had on hand in college. But now I'm starting to wonder if nutella has become a generic descriptor like kleenex, xerox, and zipper.

Anyway, here's what my general schedule looks like.

Friday
  • Disneyland Hotel for lunch at Tangaroa Terrace and the expo
  • Afternoon/evening at Disney's California Adventure park
  • 5k
Saturday
  • Short two mile morning run
  • Full day at the parks, ending with the World of Color show
  • Try to be in bed by 10pm
Sunday
  • 4am wake up call
  • Half marathon
  • Full day at the parks, ending with the fireworks
Monday
  • Short two mile morning run
  • Breakfast and browsing at Downtown Disney

I'm so excited for this trip! I have a lot to do in the next week so hopefully the time will pass quickly and before I know it I'll be back in Disneyland!

Disneyland 5k fun run in 2009

1 comment:

  1. Your trip sounds awesome!!! I love how you're fitting in two races plus lots of sightseeing. Your legs are definitely going to be tired as I find sightseeing in itself to be a workout!! Will also be great to escape the snow and cold for awhile :)

    ReplyDelete