Friday, February 17, 2012

Count with me

A look at what I've been up to recently...

ONE new pair of shoes - Until now I've always run in stability shoes, but based on a couple gait analyses last year I decided to give neutral shoes a try. After test driving (test running?) a few pairs at Fairhaven Runners, I ended up with the Brooks Defyance 5. They're supposed to be the neutral version of the Brooks Adrenaline that I've been wearing for the past year and a half, and they really do feel about the same. My only complaint is that I wish there was a bit more cushioning, but otherwise they've been great during my recent runs.



TWO For The Road - This is a 5k race that I volunteered at last weekend. It was organized by the local running club so it was pretty low key, but a lot of fun. Being close to Valentine's Day, the concept of the race is that you're encouraged to run with a partner and cross the finish line together, each holding one end of a piece of string. I mainly helped with the registration for the parent/child category, but I also got a glimpse at how hectic it is to capture finish times at a non-chip timed event. It was neat to experience a race from the other side of things and it's something that I should do more often.

THREE new items of clothing - Road Runner Sports had a 25% off sale so I bought a pair of capris and two pairs of shorts. The last time I bought running shorts (also from Road Runner) was in 2009! Actually I wasn't even planning on buying the shorts, but they were on sale and then with the 25% off they were only $15 each. It doesn't get much cheaper than that.

FOUR race registrations - Yep, I just registered for four races on four Saturdays in a row, starting next weekend. One of the races is a club race so it's free. It's also a half marathon which I'll just use as a training run. The other three races are a 10k, 5k, and 5 miler which together were only $45 in registration fees. These I'm using for speed work since I'm really bad at doing speed work on my own.

FIVE books read so far in The Secrets of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott - I randomly found this series a couple months ago while browsing my library's ebook catalog looking for something new to read. It's a young adult fantasy series that incorporates historical and mythical characters into a present-day setting. Every book in the series has captured my attention to the point where I don't get anything done throughout the day and I'm still reading at 1am because I can't put the book down. I recently finished the fifth book, The Warlock, and now I'm anxiously waiting for the release of the sixth and final book in the series on May 22.


SIX weeks until the Birch Bay Road Race 30k - Wow, this is coming up fast. I'm not worried about being able to finish, but I'd like to have a good race at something like an 8:30 pace and still feel strong at the finish. I need to put together a quick training plan for the next six weeks. Hmmm, 15-miler this Sunday maybe?

SEVEN miles - The distance I ran last night... well, actually 7.2 miles. Lately I've switched over to doing a lot of my running at night since I've been working really long hours. Like yesterday I started at 9:30pm. And a couple times during the last week I didn't leave the house until after 10:30pm. I don't know yet if I like this new schedule or not. It's kind of peaceful being out alone on the roads at night. But on the other hand, when I wait until that late to work out it basically limits me to running since my gym closes at 10pm. I haven't been doing as much cross training lately as I'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment