Friday, May 31, 2013

Side of the road


It's another side of the road post! This time I only have a flat tire so I'm not too down in the dumps about it. Even though I only rode about 8 miles My back was killing me so I'm kind of glad for the excuse to stop.

Last week I spent some time in the parking lot just practicing getting on and off my bike so I'm feeling a little better about it. Plus today I actually stopped at every stop sign just to get more practice. (I ride out in the county where there's not really any traffic so usually it's safe to ride through stop signs.)

In other news, I've gone out for two open water swims with my tri training group now. It's nice that I'm doing a local tri as my first so I can actually swim in the same lake where the race is. (The downside of this tri is that the bike course is actually pretty challenging.)

The water hasn't been as cold as I was expecting and I love that with my wetsuit I'm not afraid of drowning. However I'm struggling with being able to swim in open water. There are these posts out in the water that I can swim to but then I struggle on the way back. I can't seem to take a full breath and I start to have a slight panic attack because my wetsuit feels too tight across my chest. From that point I can't get back in the rhythm of things and both times have had to do a weird doggie paddle-ish thing to get back to shore. Also my upper arms and shoulders feel tired after swimming just that short distance.

I know I've gotta just keep getting in the water so that's what I'm doing. I just hope that I'll be able to get the hang of things in the three weeks I have left before the tri.

No comments:

Post a Comment